I was really excited to check out the new fall menu at 701 Restaurant. 701 is one of those restaurants that’s been in town for years. The restaurant scene in Washington is one of the most bustling things in the Nation’s Capital. New restaurants pop up pretty frequently so older restaurants constant refresh their menus as a way to stay on the must hit list.
I am not a restaurant critic but I love dining out and trying the restaurants in DC. I guess you can say I have an appreciation for eating out. That’s probably why my waistline keeps expanding. I think it’s important that when a business is trying to show off their best, it’s important to do the same as a guest. So for my part whenever I’m invited to events like the fall tasting at 701 Restaurant, I make a conscious effort to look my best.
701 Restaurant is located in downtown DC not too far from the Capital and right next to the United States Navy Memorial. With a setting like this, I figured it was a great time to pick a classic Washington look, khaki slacks and a blue blazer. This is a great look and very easy to pull off. It can work in the summer and is also a nice transition into fall.
The key to keeping it fresh is to make sure the entire look is well fitting. Slacks should not be baggy, a nice trim cut but not too form fitting is the ideal choice. Same is true for a blazer, a well tailored blazer will help keep this traditional look modern and fresh. To make my look a little different, instead of a solid shirt and pattern tie, I flipped the script. My shirt had a slight pattern and I opted for an almost solid tie. Making a standard look your own is key in defining your personal style.
As for 701 Restaurant, I really enjoyed. Executive Chef Benjamin Lambert has created a menu of modern American cuisine with prices ranging from $9 – $35 with specials such as a pre-theatre $35 three course prix fix menu, lunch at the Bar for $17 per person and Happy Hour with $7 wine, cocktail and bar snack specials. Live Jazz is available Thursday through Sunday.
For my tasting, I got to sample:
- 7th & Penn, rye, aged rum, PX sherry, orange and angostura bitters
- Douro Spritz, saffron gin, white port, house tonic and soda
- Chilled Corn Soup, bacon, cornbread streusel and chili-lime sorbet
- Bluefin Tuna Tartare, sushi rice ice cream, ponzu and wasabi oil
- Corn Fonduta Agnolotti, chanterelle mushrooms, truffle and sungold tomatoes
- Cauliflower shawarma, hummus, golden raisins, tomatoes and lavash
- Smoked Duck Breast, black beans, salsa verde and baby corn
- S’mores, toasted marshmallow, chocolate and graham cracker ganache
- Sweet Corn Pudding, blueberries, crunchy yogurt and Champagne
701 Restaurant is located at 701 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.,
(between Capitol Hill and the White House) in Washington, DC.
Details/Shop my Style